At Feeld, we are creating a world where where everyone is more intimately connected to each other and themselves. We are building an inclusive, human-centred product and are looking for a Lead Backend Engineer to become part our remote team and our mission to elevate the human experience of sexuality and relationships.
You will be responsible for leading a team of engineers, guiding the development of new features, and ensuring the reliability and performance of our systems.
To be right for this role, you should have previous experience developing applications at scale, ensuring data integrity within a globally distributed system, and be well-versed in performance testing and system monitoring. You should also have prior experience working cross-functionally with teams to define feature requirements and plan for technical implementation, while balancing responsibilities as a lead to ensure you have a healthy and motivated team.
What you will do:
- Work closely with the Director of Engineering to set technical direction, plan for product growth and scalability, and meet business requirements.
- Lead the design and development of scalable and resilient backend systems using NoSQL and event-driven technologies in cloud-first architectures.
- Analyse and optimise system performance ensuring the reliability and availability of our systems.
- Mentor and manage a team of backend engineers, providing technical guidance, support, and career development.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product management, frontend development, and QA to deliver high-quality features and improvements.
- You have proven experience as a team lead in backend development, preferably creating self-documented APIs using Node web frameworks based around GraphQL (or REST) with strong knowledge of event-driven architectures and NoSQL data storage (TypeScript, ECS, DynamoDB, Kinesis, EventBridge).
- You are able to analyse and optimise system performance and scalability, and are comfortable creating dashboards/monitoring alerts.
- You have a desire to build, grow, and lead a team delegating some of technical implication details to your peers, while retaining an ability to understand correctness.
- You have excellent communication, leadership, and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- You have experience with Apollo, NestJS, Amplitude, Firebase Authentication, Stream Chat, Cloudinary, Sentry, Snowflake
- You are interested in globally distributed systems and supporting them at scale.
- You are interested in ML and AI models and their application to recommendation engines.
- You are test-driven and focused on automation and efficiency.
- You have experience hiring senior engineers and retaining talent.
Feeld is an independent, experimental and fully remote organisation reshaping the dialogue on dating and sexuality. The company was founded in 2014 and has evolved since to become the open, distributed structure it is now. We have a naturally agile and fluid culture. The whole team is fully remote, which means you work where and when helps you perform at your best. We regard autonomy highly and treat our organisation as a product – we iterate, improve and test things internally to see what works best for everyone.
We believe in creating a safe work environment through humanity, fluidity, safety, transparency and progressiveness. When hiring, we look for culture add rather than culture fit.
Because we are a fully remote team, it’s especially important that we create an environment where our colleagues feel included and connected as humans.
Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging at Feeld:
Feeld promotes open-mindedness, inclusion, diversity and kindness, both in the world and among our own workforce.
We encourage and welcome applications from people with a history of marginalisation, whether because of race, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability (seen or unseen) or any confluence of intersectional identities.
Our goal is a barrier-free application process and working environment. If you require further details or assistance or have any questions about this process, please let us know at [email protected].
Compensation and perks:
We are conscious of how our work and decisions impact other humans and the environment. We design our product and organisation with consideration for the wellbeing and happiness of our members and colleagues. We believe in technology and working environments that enable people to live a meaningful, fulfilled life.
Therefore, we offer our staff:
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited paid time off
- A fully remote working situation
- Annual expense budget
- GBP £3k equipment and home office budget
- Learning & development budget
- On demand therapy sessions and mental health support via Spill
- Company retreats
Feeld’s way of working is designed to proactively prevent burnout and an “always on” culture.
One of our Core Values is: Transparent. We strive for complete openness of information within the organisation and for enabling honesty on our platform. Internally, we keep decision-making transparent to keep each other accountable and make sure all voices are heard.
That is why we offer:
- Open and transparent salaries
- At Feeld we believe all humans deserve to make a competitive wage. That's why we offer a Baseline Freedom Salary of £60,000 per year.
- The base salary for this role is determined by Level and Step, as well as geographic location, but we estimate that this role can earn between £105,000 - £138,000 GBP based on the requirements listed in this job description.
Our interview process:
- Your first conversation with Feeld will be a screening call with our recruiter, where you’ll be able to ask - and receive answers - regarding any general questions you have and to confirm the role is a fit for what you’re seeking.
- Your second conversation will connect you directly with the hiring manager for the role you’re applying to. Here, you’ll have a chance to ask more questions about the work you’ll be doing. This conversation will also focus on your past work experiences.
- The next step for most of our roles is a candidate challenge. This is an evaluation of the skills relevant to be successful in this role and generally takes about an hour to complete.
- Your third conversation allows you the opportunity to meet the team members you might be working with on a daily basis. Here, you’ll be able to ask questions about team processes, workflow, and the employee experience at Feeld.
- We generally make an offer within 2 weeks of our final call, and offer a flexible start date that can begin as early as the next Monday after you sign our offer documentation.
- Of note: all of our interviews are conducted remotely, and our interviewers will work with you to find an agreeable interview time based on mutual availability.
We understand we're asking you to invest your time and best efforts in our process, and are appreciative of getting the chance to better know who you are as a person and candidate. In return, we’re committed to offering transparent communication and prompt feedback as you navigate this application with us.
To find out more about Feeld, download our app (available on iOS and Android).